Thursday, March 10, 2011

February 9, 2011

Today was our last day of camp, and also the day my group was teaching. There's 6 of us in our van.. Haley (our leader), Marissa, Taylor, Skyler, Kimmy, and me. I really love everyone in my group, they're so great!! Anyways, I was so nervous about presenting, but it went well. I was David and Pastor Josh was Goliath.. it was funny! Josh is so hilarious and the kids really got a kick out of his great acting skills :P After a our little skit, a couple girls in my group gave their testimonies, then we did our craft which was decorating a headband. The kids loved it! After that, a few girls and I bathed the kids. They were so excited to get washed. It was so sad to see their huge tummy's (from malnutrition). We also had a slip-n-slide type thing for the kids.. they had SO much fun!! It was so cute to watch them be a kid. Many of them have so many responsibilities (fetch water, clean, take care of younger siblings, etc), even the really young kids, so it was so great just to see them have fun and be care-free. :) It was so hard saying goodbye to the kids at Oasis. We all grew to love them so much. They're truly amazing, beautiful kids that will always be in my heart.


After camp, we went to Gilgal High School. The students danced for us, gave us a tour of their classrooms and dorm-rooms. Gilgal is a great school that helps educate kids that either don't have parents or have parents that can't support them. I met a beautiful girl named Snidah. She asked me "to please never forget her." I promised her I wouldn't. :)


Alright, so are you ready for one of the saddest stories ever? :/ Mmkay, so wherever we go Haley and I would open the windows in the van and say "Jambo" or "Habari" (or other greetings that our van driver, Moses, taught us) to the people that are walking and they all get so excited and wave back, especially the kids. They are all so friendly! Anyways, on the way to dinner tonight, I was saying Jambo to people on the street, and an old guy on the bike just stared at me (I think he was surprised to see a white person) for a couple seconds then.... BOOM! He crashed into another bike, fell onto the ground, and all his stuff spilled out. He looked up at me, from the ground, and just looked so sad. I don't think I've ever felt so bad. New rule: no waving at bikers.




me and my Faridah

making the headbands

me and zoie with lillian and alodi

slip n slide! :)
i just love Faridah!

my sweet friend, Snidah, whom I'll never forget! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment